The APPA/NACUBO Key Facilities Metrics Survey for the 2018-19 academic year is now open through January 17, 2020. The metrics can impact your strategic plans and help you to improve on operational costs.
Business or facilities office staff can fill out the survey from utility reports on five elements: BTU, electrical, water, waste, and carbon. Only one person per campus can enter the data, and there is no fee to complete the survey. It is open to all higher education institutions. A PDF version of the survey is also available.
Previous median data from five years of survey results are available on the NACUBO website and the APPA website.
NACUBO members shared the following feedback on the survey:
- “This Key Facilities Metrics data is relevant and straightforward—and can be especially helpful to smaller institutions, which may lack the resources and capacity to otherwise generate such simple, comparable, and actionable information.” -Eric Runestad, vice president for finance and administration, Luther College
- "Discovering this tool came at the perfect moment. This kind of data is exactly in the scope that my boss would love to see in 10 days. I have been able to plug it in and get some dashboard results right now!" -Steven Kormanak, director of facilities, Blackhawk Technical College
- “Our vice president consistently wants us to simplify metrics so we can hone in on improving, and the Key Facilities Metric survey gives us this basic, simple platform to evaluate our progress. Leadership needs to have simple metrics to remember and relate to–and while we have a great deal of data–we consistently go back to these simple Key Facilities Metrics.” -Jessica Rose, LEED GA, associate director, Facilities Management, Georgia Institute of Technology
- “Thank you for making me aware of the survey. I had the data already for our soon-to-be-submitted STARS Report so it was just a plug and chug exercise to input the data. Quick and easy.” Liesel Schwarz, sustainability manager, Villanova University
- South Dakota State University created this video to highlight their ease of use and success with the survey.